CLIPPER RACE BLOG 12: When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going!

Not going to lie, Leg 5 is not a leg that I particularly was looking forward too. In fact, it’s probably one in which I had the least interest in. From what I knew, we would end up in the cold winter of Qingdao after leaving sunny Australia and we would face lots of marine traffic and potential fishing boats.

Moreover, Australia and Airlie Beach have been absolutely remarkable to us and probably the best stopover to celebrate and enjoy our first victory.

But as the race goes into its second half, it is normal to hit some lows. We see it throughout the fleet. Many round the worlders and skippers are getting a bit tired. The situation was made even more difficult for me as just before our departure I learned the sad news that a close cousin had passed away. It is really in those difficult moments that you feel alone and far away. I wish I would have been home to support the family in those difficult moments. My family reminds me that I have a goal, a dream to go after and to carry on. The support I received from the Visit Seattle team has been remarkable and I am really thankful for being surrounded by such a supporting crew.

Tragedies are inevitable in life, people go too fast, too soon. But that’s life. But you only learned that when you start losing them.

I think the best way to move on and get away with this kind of stuff is to get right back into action and focus on one day at a time. There will be highs and lows for sure, but that’s ok too. We have a writing on a wall in the boat: “It will be fine”. I keep repeating it to myself.

The in-port race was just what I needed to keep my mind clear. I really enjoy these. Again, Nikki trusted me at the helm so she can focus more on strategy and overseeing the pit operations. The results were once again tremendous as we took away the win. Great moral booster and a great way to carry on our good winning streak. Winning the in-port race gave us the “advantage” of being the windward boat for the Le Mans start (restart of the race) the next day, after we motored passed the great barrier reef to avoid any danger.

The most difficult part of the race so far has been dealing with the tropical heat and the lack of air flow and ventilation in the boat. If sweating was sport, I think we would all be professional athletes. It’s not rare to hear people joke about it saying they think they wet their bed after a hot night. One of the ways we adapted to the heat is by changing our watch schedule. Whereas before we would do 2×6 hours shift during the day and 3×4 hours at night, we now reversed it to 2×6 at night and 3×4 during the day to provide for a more “comfortable” long sleep. It was quite the adjustment at the start and it was not rare to find a fellow crew sleeping on deck on asleep in the saloon.

Other than that, we got hit by a pretty bad squall the other night. 50 knots! BOOM. Luckily the crew on deck reacted quickly to put on a reef and I managed to make my way out to the bow to help drop one of the headsails. No damages and no loss of miles. We also had a few showers which, when the air is so warm are happily welcomed by the crew. A fresh rinse and often we get shampoos and soaps out to get a scrub while we can.

As always Visit Seattle is battling hard to stay at the top of the fleet but it is not an easy task. The winds have been quite light so far and we are looking at a potential massive windhole coming up. When the winds are light we take the opportunity to do some laundry, and try to keep moral up by doing funny things or even working out (see pictures).

Talk soon




Ce serait mentir de dire que j’avais hate a l’etape 5. En fait, c’est sans doute l’etape qui m’attirait et m’interesse le moins. Ce que je savais c’etait qu’on allait quitter le soleil de l’Australie pour arriver dans le froid de l’hiver Chinois a Qingdao et qu’on allait faire face a beaucoup de traffic maritime.De plus, l’Australie et plus particulierement Airlie Beach ont ete si exceptionnels pour nous. C’etait sans doute le meilleur escale pour celebrer notre premiere victoire.

Alors que la deuxieme moitier de la course debute, il est sans doute normal d’avoir quelques baisses d’energies. On le rescent a travers la flotte, a travers les skippers et les autres “round the worlders”. Pour moi, le depart de Airlie Beach fut d’autant plus difficile puisque quelques heures avant le depart, j’ai appris le deces d’un proche. Ce qui apporte son lot de solitude quand on est a des milliers de kilometres de la maison. J’aimerais etre aupres de ma famille dans ces moments, pour leur offrir du support et qu’on puisse passer a travers ce moment difficile ensemble. Ceux-ci me rappelle le reve que je suis en train de vivre et tout ce que je suis en train d’accomplir et me rappelle que je dois perseverer de continuer. Le support que j’ai recu de l’equipe Seattle est remarquable et je suis tres chanceux d’etre entoure par des si bons gens.

Les trajedies sont inevitable dans la vie, souvent les gens nous quittent; trop tot, trop rapidement. Mais c’est la vie. Par contre, on ne le realise que lorsqu’on perd nous meme des proches dans ces conditions. Je crois que la meilleure facon de passer a travers ces moments, c’est de se tenir occuper et de focusser sur notre mission, nos objectifs et nos actions un jour a la fois et de laisser le temps faire le reste. Il y aura toujours des hauts et des bas et c’est “OK”. Nous avons un grafiti sur l’un des murs du bateau qui dit : “It will be fine” (tout ira bien). J’essaie de me le rappeler le plus souvent possible.

Le regate de depart etait sans doute exactement ce dont j’avais besoin pour me changer les idees. J’adore c’est parcours serre ou tous les 11 voiliers batailles pour chaque metre. Encore une fois, Nikki m’a fait confiance a la barre afin qu’elle puisse focusser sur la strategy et superviser l’ajustement des voiles et les manoeuvres. Le resultat a ete payant puisque nous avons remporte la victoire. Une victoire qui nous offrait l’avantage d’un positionnement au vent lors du depart lance (Le Mans Start) qui allait avoir lieu le lendemain apres 24 hrs de moteur pour traverser la grande barriere de corail en evitant tout danger.

Depuis notre depart, le plus difficile a ete de gerer la chaleur tropicale et le manque d’aeration et de ventilation a bord. Heureusement, j’avais pu trouver un petit ventilateur rechargeable avant de partir. Si suer etait un sport, je crois qu’on pourrait etre des athletes professionnels. Ce n’est pas rare d’entendre des coequipiers blaguer qu’ils ont “mouille leur lit” apres une nuit de chaleur. L’une des facons dont nous nous sommes adaptes a ete de modifier nos horaires de quarts. Jusqu’a maintenant nous faisions 2 quarts de 6 heures pendants le jour et 3 quarts de 4 heures pendant la nuit. Nous avons maintenant inverse le tout pour 2×6 la nuit et 3×4 le jour. Cela nous offre des conditions plus tolerable pour une plus longue nuit de sommeil. L’ajustement n’a pas ete facile pour tous et il n’etait pas rare de retrouver des coequipiers endormis sur le pont pendant leur quart de 6 heures la nuit.

L’autre jour, nous avons ete frappe et surpris par un solide coup de vent de 50-60 noeuds en pleine nuit. L’equipe a cependant bien reagie en prenant un ris rapidement et j’ai reussi a m’extirper de mon lit pour aller donner un coup de main a l’avant du bateau pour descendre l’une des voiles avants. Il y a parfois des averses qui, dans des conditions aussi chaudes, sont plus que bienvenues. On sort les savons et s’offrir le luxe d’un douche d’eau fraiche.

Comme toujours Visit Seattle bataille fermement pour rester a l’avant de la flotte. Les vents ont ete plutot faible jusqu’a present et on entrevoit un potentiel trou de vent digne du pot au noir (Doldrums).

A bientot