As a rope-maker, we recognise that our activities will have an effect on both the local and global environment and we are committed to ensuring that the negative effect is minimised as far as is practical. With this in mind, we are bringing together our sustainability actions and the eco-conscious products we are developing under the one BLUE OCEAN® brand.
Sustainably sourced fibres
Since 2018, we have been developing products using sustainably sourced fibres in all of our standard synthetic rope ranges. Most significantly we are reducing reliance on fossil fuels by using fibres either manufactured from waste plastic or natural sources in the Leisure Marine and Arboriculture markets.
Overall, the BLUE OCEAN® brand is our mark of sustainability and assures our customers, end-users, suppliers and employees of the ongoing commitment and mission to conduct our operations and production within an environmentally conscious measured framework.
Packaging & Recycling
Marlow is an eco-conscious manufacturer and we take pride in using packaging materials that can be reused, repurposed or recycled in line with our environmental objectives and mission to reduce waste destined for landfills or the oceans.
All our packaging components can be disposed of responsibly, re-used or are manufactured from recycled materials – reducing our reliance on virgin polymers and therefore fossil fuels.
The following packaging components used to protect our products or safely transport them on pallets are categorised according to the recycling codes below. We encourage and urge all our customers to reuse, repurpose or recycle as follows:
- Reels: Made from No 5 LPDE (Low density Polyethylene). Manufactured from recycled plastic and can be re-used or recycled at the end of life. Dismantle first. Click here for more information.
- Shrinkwrap (clear or black): Recycle as No 4 LDPE (Low density Polyethylene)
- Green pallet strapping: Recycle as No 1 PETE (Polyethylene terephthalate)
- Wooden pallet: Reuse if possible, recycle in wooden waste
- Cardboard boxes: Reuse if possible, recycle in cardboard waste
- All our brown board packaging is FSC certified and can be recycled in cardboard waste. This includes our Blue Ocean Dockline boxes, Draco lowering lines and Arborist climbing line boxes.
- All card headers can be recycled in cardboard/paper waste.
- All plastic tube packaging used to protect Leisure Marine small accessories and Arboriculture small cords is manufacture from 100% recyclable polyethylene material made from sugar cane starch waste. This can be recycled as No 4 LDPE (Low density Polyethylene)
- Catalogues & brochures are printed on uncoated FSC certified paper and can be recycled in paper waste after the staples have been removed.
- All our merchandise items have a longer life and are made to fit a purpose eg rope-measuring verniers, notebooks or long-life water bottles. Stickers, flyers or postcards are made from recycled materials or are designed to be purposeful eg for educational or practical purposes.